Definition of Purple clover
1. Noun. Erect to decumbent short-lived perennial having red-purple to pink flowers; the most commonly grown forage clover.
Purple Clover Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Purple Clover Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Purple Clover
Literary usage of Purple clover
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Farmer's Dictionary: A Vocabulary of the Technical Terms Recently by Daniel Pereira Gardner (1854)
"Dutch clover is T. repent ;(A) purple clover is T. pratense ;(o) cow grass, or perennial clover, is T. medium.(d) Its abundant produce, ..."
2. The Principles of Agriculture by Albrecht Daniel Thaer (1844)
"It has also been remarked, that Dutch clover is not, like purple clover, ... purple clover is not found to be injured when sown alternately with white ..."
3. Lectures to Farmers on Agricultural Chemistry by Alexander Petzholdt (1846)
"... and may with greater facility be «own after repealed grain crops. It has also been remarked that Dutch clover is not, like purple clover, ..."
4. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1864)
"At that time I grew a little patch of purple-clover very near the house. Now, I have no such patch of purple-clover, and I never see my little friend ..."