Definition of Purple gallinule
1. Noun. Gallinules with showy purplish plumage.
Specialized synonyms: European Gallinule, Porphyrio Porphyrio, American Gallinule, Porphyrula Martinica
Lexicographical Neighbors of Purple Gallinule
Literary usage of Purple gallinule
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Michigan Bird Life: A List of All the Bird Species Known to Occur in the by Walter Bradford Barrows (1912)
"Campion (of Detroit) also says that he has mounted one specimen of the Purple Gallinule "from the Flats." There are several records for Ontario, ..."
2. Feathered Game of the Northeast by Walter Herbert Rich (1907)
"There are perhaps half a dozen records of the capture of this species on the North American continent. THE purple gallinule. ..."
3. Our Animal Friends: An Illustrated Monthly Magazine (1894)
"The plumage of the purple gallinule is of a deep indigo below and of a bright greenish-blue above, and it wears a scarlet helmet. Its under tail-feathers ..."
4. The Birds of Long Island by Jacob P. Giraud (1844)
"purple gallinule, Nutt. Man. ... purple gallinule is a constant resident. Stragglers occasionally wander along the coast as far as Massachusetts, ..."