Definition of Purple finch
1. Noun. North American finch having a raspberry-red head and breast and rump.
Generic synonyms: Finch
Group relationships: Carpodacus, Genus Carpodacus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Purple Finch
Literary usage of Purple finch
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of America by John James Audubon (1841)
"CRIMSON-FRONTED purple finch. ... is very closely allied, not only in colour, but in size and form, to the purple finch, ..."
2. Handbook of Birds of Eastern North America: With Introductory Chapters on by Frank Michler Chapman (1912)
"The Bobolink, Red-winged and Rusty Blackbirds also illustrate color change by wear. With the purple finch and Indigo Bunting, as Dwight ('00) has shown, ..."
3. Ornithological Biography by John James Audubon (1832)
"FROM the beginning of November until April, flocks of the purple finch, consisting of from six to twenty individuals are seen throughout the whole of ..."
4. Birds of California: An Introduction to More Than Three Hundred Common Birds by Irene Grosvenor Wheelock (1903)
"The call-note is a chirp not unlike that of the English sparrow, but somewhat softer. 518. CASSIN purple finch. ..."