Definition of Personal estate
1. Noun. Movable property (as distinguished from real estate).
Generic synonyms: Belongings, Holding, Property
Specialized synonyms: Chattel, Movable, Personal Chattel, Effects, Personal Effects, Clobber, Stuff
Personal Estate Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Personal Estate Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Personal Estate
Literary usage of Personal estate
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: During by Great Britain Court of Chancery, Edward Thurlow Thurlow, Alexander Wedderburn Rosslyn, Jonathan Cogswell Perkins (1845)
"The personal estate first liable, in Equity at least, to the debts. ... Upon the question of exoneration of the personal estate stress laid on the ..."
2. Bouvier's Law Dictionary and Concise Encyclopedia by John Bouvier, Francis Rawle (1914)
"Probate and letters of administration may be granted in respect of real estate only, although there is no personal estate. Subject to the powers, rights, ..."
3. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: During by Great Britain Court of Chancery, Edward Thurlow Thurlow, Alexander Wedderburn Rosslyn, Jonathan Cogswell Perkins (1845)
"Taylor, as it is printed, the devise and bequest of his real and personal estate is to his executors hereinafter named upon trust, &c. ..."
4. A Selection of Leading Cases in Equity: With Notes by Horace Binney Wallace, Frederick Thomas White, John Innes Clark Hare, Owen Davies Tudor (1876)
"Mayer, requiring that, in order to exonerate the personal estate, ... The rule, therefore, as to the primary liability of the personal estate does not apply ..."
5. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1890)
"He then set apart, as a fund for the payment of debts and legacies, certain real and personal estate, and all the residue of his estate of every kind not ..."
6. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1911)
"with their payment, If the personal estate proves Insufficient, unless the testator has charged the land with their payment This he may do either in express ..."
7. Commentaries on the Conflict of Laws, Foreign and Domestic by Joseph Story, Melville Madison Bigelow (1883)
"Payment by the heir does not extinguish the debt, but vests in his the right to recover the amount against the personal estate, and constitute him a ..."
8. A Treatise on Wills by Thomas Jarman, Melville Madison Bigelow (1881)
"Chichester, the first upon the subject, in which such words as these had been held alone sufficient to exempt the personal estate (x) . So in Aldridge r. ..."