Definition of President Hayes
1. Noun. 19th President of the United States; his administration removed federal troops from the South and so ended the Reconstruction Period (1822-1893).
Generic synonyms: Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
Lexicographical Neighbors of President Hayes
Literary usage of President Hayes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. John Sherman's Recollections of Forty Years in the House, Senate and Cabinet by John Sherman (1895)
"... Hayes from New Orleans — President Grant's Last Message to Congress— Letters from President Hayes — Request to Become his Secretary of the Treasury. ..."
2. Autobiography of Seventy Years by George Frisbie Hoar (1905)
"CHAPTER II President Hayes President Hayes'S Administration began under circumstances of peculiar difficulty. In the first Congress of his term the ..."
3. Twenty Years of Congress: From Lincoln to Garfield ; with a Review of the by James Gillespie Blaine (1884)
"INAUGURATION OP President Hayes.—His SOUTHERN POLICY. ... President Hayes was inaugurated on the 5th day of March (1877) — the 4th falling on Sunday. ..."
4. Autobiography of Seventy Years by George Frisbie Hoar (1903)
"But he was rendered exceedingly indignant by the refusal of President Hayes to appoint Mr. Frye to a seat in the Cabinet, which Mr. Blaine desired, ..."
5. The Life and Times of Hannibal Hamlin by Charles Eugene Hamlin (1899)
"Possibly there would have been no personal collision had President Hayes adhered to his professed principles of Civil Service Reform in appointing the ..."
6. American Politics (non-partisan) from the Beginning to Date: Embodying a by Thomas Valentine Cooper (1892)
"This desire was plainly manifested by President Hayes on the day of his inauguration and for two years thereafter. He took early occasion to visit Atlanta, ..."
7. Annual Register edited by Edmund Burke (1878)
"... Industrial Depression—Railway Strikes and Riots—Civil Service Reform—President Hayes in Vermont—Mr. Sherman's Speech—President Hayes in the South—United ..."